I can’t believe our sweet little curly-haired cutie pie is already 2 years old! We celebrated his special day with a ‘country themed’ party at his nanna and pop pop’s house on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We wanted a day that fun and laid back- just like him. That’s why we went with this ultra casual, rustic, party theme that brought our family together for a day full of laughs and memories.
Our little guy loves the pool, so it’s a good thing he has a summer birthday and can have a swimming party! He splashed and kicked all afternoon long with his cousins and big brother. The kids also formed teams and had an epic water balloon battle. The water balloons were a last minute purchase, and were the best $2 I’ve ever spent!
When their little feet were weary from the water, we took a break to sing happy birthday and enjoy some sweet treats. In keeping with our rustic country theme, we had a delicious peach pie and some amazing peach cupcakes. These cupcakes taste like they were picked fresh from the orchard- light and fluffy peach frosting tops a sweet, moist cake, and inside is a surprise bite of fresh, juicy, peach filling. It was the perfect treat to celebrate our little guy’s 2nd birthday! Oh, and did I mention that they are gluten free and have no refined sugar? That makes them even sweeter!
We had a wonderful day and I’m pretty sure the birthday boy knew that it was all for him. I really love the way that the details of this party all came together. Red gingham paired with turquoise blue set the perfect background for our country themed celebration. I used an antique window frame to display his photos and hung a handmade bunting banner on the porch for some extra decor.
Here’s a look at our 2 year old’s special celebration… oh, and I’ve included a recipe for these amazing peach cupcakes too!
If you follow me on Instagram (follow me by clicking here), then you already saw a sneak peak of the party 🙂
Peach Cupcakes (Gluten Free & No Refined Sugar)
makes 1 dozen cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
Use the base of this vanilla cake (minus the strawberries) and add the following extras:
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Ready your cupcake pan with liners.
2. Mix the batter according to directions, adding the cinnamon and nutmeg with your dry ingredients.
3. Carefully divide the batter equally among the 12 cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 of the way full.
4. Bake at 350* for approximately 18-22 minutes, depending on your oven.
For the Fresh Peach Filling
4 peaches, chopped (no need to peal them)
1 tsp honey (optional, depending on your preference for sweetness)
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the peaches until they are soft.
2. Stir occasionally to make sure they do not stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
3. Once the peaches have cooked down, about 10-12 minutes, add the honey (if desired).
4. Carefully puree in a blender (or use an immersion blender) until a smooth consistency is reached.
For the Sweet Peach Whipped Topping
2 cups organic heavy whipping cream (cold)
4-6 Tbsp of the peach filling mixture
Pinch of salt
2-4 Tbsp honey (depending on your preference for sweetness)
1. Add the heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
2. Whisk cream on high speed until small peaks begin to form, about 3 minutes.
4. Turn off the mixer and add the peach topping, salt, and honey. Whisk again on medium/high for about 15 seconds, until all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Taste test to see if additional honey is needed, and add more accordingly.
To Assemble the Cupcakes with Filling and Whipped Topping:
1. Once cupcakes have fully cooled, remove the center of the cupcake (I use a simple little tool for this, but you could do it using a knife and a steady hand too). Discard the scraps from the center of the cupcakes.
2. Place a spoonful or two of the peach filling into the center of each cupcake.
3. Once filled, dollop a bit of the whipped peach topping onto each cupcake. This frosting is so easy to work with and there is no need for a piping bag, just scoop it up and place it on the cupcake!