What’s your favorite kind of ice cream? Is it rocky road? Mint chocolate chip? Or perhaps a simple (but tasty) strawberry? Mine is butter pecan. Rich, creamy, indulgent, buttery ice cream with the crunch of savory pecans in every bite- heaven on a spoon!
But it wasn’t always this way. If you had asked me just a few years ago what my favorite ice cream flavor was, I likely would have rattled off the latest and greatest Ben & Jerry’s creation. I was down with anything that had enough “stuff” in it that I had to eat it with a fork (yes, yes, I really did do that)! If it had sugary caramel, marshmallow swirl, or chocolate-covered-anything, I was into it.
Maybe I’ve grown up? Maybe my tastes have changed? Or, more likely, I’ve learned to appreciate the flavors that come from simple, wholesome, fresh ingredients.Though I no longer crave the sugar-coma-inducing likes of Ben & Jerry’s, I do still have a sweet tooth!
My solution: make ice cream that is healthy, but tastes just as good (if not even better) than the store-bought brands.
That’s right, healthy ice cream! Wait, stop, I know what you’re thinking. Healthy ice cream…but, how can that be?! Ice cream is all about indulgence and richness. It’s there to soothe you when you’re sad and celebrate with you on your birthday. Surely, something this comforting must be loaded with sugary sweetness, right? Wrong.
This Butter Pecan Ice Cream will make you rethink your relationship with ice cream forever. There is no refined sugar and no artificial ingredients in this recipe. The flavors are fresh, wholesome, and come from only good-for-you ingredients. Your taste-buds won’t know the difference, but your body will!
So grab a spoon, (or a fork, if you’re weird like me), and mix up a bowl of this delicious paleo dessert the next time your sweet tooth comes a callin’. Go ahead and indulge, this is a guilt free treat!
Note: If you enjoyed this Butter Pecan recipe, you will also love our Coconut & Clementine Paleo Ice Cream!
Butter Pecan [Paleo] Ice Cream
FOR THE BUTTERED PECANS
1 cup pecans, chopped
3 Tbsp. organic butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. + 1 Tbsp. Organic Grade B maple syrup
Dash of Himalayan pink salt
1. In a medium saute pan on medium heat, add the butter and cook until golden brown.
2. Add pecans and stir gently.
3. Add in 1 Tbsp of maple syrup, and dash of salt (to taste). Reduce heat to low. Stir continuously while pecans begin to caramelize and soften slightly.
4. Once pecans are softened and evenly caramelized, add in the remaining 1 Tbsp. of maple syrup. Stir to combine, and remove from heat. Let cool for several minutes.
5. Let pecans chill completely in the refrigerator, about one hour.
FOR THE ICE CREAM BATTER
2 cans of coconut milk (full fat), at room temperature
4 Tbsp. Organic Grade B maple syrup
2 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
1. Add the coconut milk to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until small peaks begin to form.
2. Once the coconut milk has finished whisking, reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add in the other ingredients. Whisk only until combined.
3. Place ice cream batter into the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, until chilled thoroughly.
4. Once chilled, pulse in a blender just prior to adding to ice cream maker. This emulsifies the ingredients and creates a smooth and creamy texture.
5. Use an ice cream mixer to freeze the batter and transform it into ice cream. Once ice cream is about 50% frozen, sprinkle in 2/3 of pecan mixture. Let ice cream continue to freeze until desired consistency is reached.
6. Serve immediately, and top with remaining pecans.
Note: If you don’t have an ice cream mixer, you can freeze the batter, stirring every 30 minutes, until the desired consistency is reached.